What is Neurofeeback?
Autism, like other childhood neurological disorders such as ADHD, dyslexia, and learning disorders occurs when brain cells do not connect with each other properly. When neurofeedback works with the brain directly, the brain cells find natural ways to connect and the symptoms disappear.
Advancement in brain imaging has made it possible for us to look at our own brain in action. Computer science has made it possible to analyze brain wave activity and to give feedback directly to the brain in real time.
The first clinical use of neurofeedback was in the 1950s to treat epilepsy. Soon after that neurofeedback became widely used to treat ADHD. By 2012 the American Pediatric Academy endorsed neurofeedback as a “Level 1 best support treatment for children with ADHD”.
In Thailand, EACM has used neurofeedback for various childhood disorders including autism, ADHD, LD, sensory disorders, attention and focus, social skills, relationship problems for teenagers as well as depression, anxiety.
How does it work?
1) 2 sensors are placed on top of the scalp to monitor brain activity.. A child listens to the music for 34 minutes through earbuds while he/she plays with the toys or sleeps.
2) The feedback data from the brain is sent to special software for analysis. When a pattern is detected the software will alert the brain by stopping the music for a millisecond.
3) The brain notices this and changes the way it connects with other brain cells.
4) Once the brain learns a more natural way of connecting, it does not go back to the old way.
What parents say
My daughter’s classroom teacher called me to have her examined by a specialist. I run after her all day long. She gets into fights and runs away. She does not listen to us at all. After NF, my husband and I were amazed how quickly she started showing changes. She even does her homework and organizes her room. I hope she will continue to get better, so we can stop giving her medicine
- Mother of 9 years old girl
My son is six, was diagnosed autistic. He cannot speak. He cannot control his behaviors. We cannot go out to restaurant like a normal family. His sleep was big problem in our house. He woke up in the middle of night and kept everyone awake. His teacher suggested NF. Nothing else helped. We tried NF training. After 5 times, he is making effort to make vocal sounds and showing his desire to communicate. He is sleeping better and our family is sleeping better
- Father of 6 years old boy